Argyll & Bute – Wedding Advice

We understand this is an extremely worrying time for anyone who has a wedding booked over the coming months whether with the Argyll and Bute Registrars or another celebrant. We are taking guidance from the UK and Scottish Government and as you will all be aware this is an ongoing situation.

We will do our best to keep you all updated on any changes that are brought in that affect marriages or other ceremonies over the coming weeks. Please be assured that the Argyll and Bute Registration Team will go out of our way to ensure that your ceremony goes ahead wherever possible.

We have had lots of questions over the last few days and wanted to give some answers to those that we can at the moment.

Can I postpone my Wedding?

If you have booked your wedding with Argyll and Bute Registrars then we will certainly try to accommodate a new date for you, working with yourself and your venue or other suppliers to get a date that suits.

If your wedding is being conducted by another celebrant then you should check with them what their procedure is for postponement.

Your marriage notices are valid for 3 calendar months from the date they are signed so if you are looking to delay the wedding until a date within this period, then they will not need to be re-submitted and the fee you have paid will stand.

If the new date is out with this period of validity then you will have to re-submit your marriage notices and pay the statutory fee for these (£30 per person) again.

If you have not yet submitted your paperwork then the date can be changed to any future date and the paperwork should be submitted within the normal 3 month timescale.

Will I lose the money I have paid if I cancel/postpone?

If your wedding is booked with us then the fees you have paid can be transferred to another date, other than the statutory Marriage notice fees (£30 per person) which will have to be paid again if the new date of marriage is out with the 3 month validity period of your marriage papers (if the new date is subject to any annual increases then these will have to be met)

If your wedding is to be conducted by another celebrant the marriage notice fees you have paid to us can be transferred to another date within the 3 months validity period, however if the new date of marriage is out with this then you will have to re-submit the papers and pay this statutory fee again (£30 per person)

If you are looking to cancel your wedding then the statutory marriage notice fees (£30 per person) is non-refundable however any other fees paid to us can be refunded.

Can I change the location of my wedding?

If you have your ceremony booked with us and have submitted your marriage notices then the location of your marriage can be changed to anywhere within our council area which could be another venue or any other suitable place, as long as you have the permission of the landowner and Public Liability Insurance to cover the event.

If you are looking to change your booking to another council area then we can return your paperwork and statutory fees to you and you can submit it to the relevant office. However the 29 day notice period will start again before you are legally free to be married.

If you have not yet submitted your marriage notices then you can choose to submit them to another council area but will lose any deposit you have made to us.

This information also applies to weddings which are to be conducted by another Celebrant.

My overseas Wedding has been cancelled can I be married here instead?

We are sorry to hear that so many couples have lost their overseas weddings in recent weeks. Due to the ongoing situation, we have made the decision not to take any new bookings for weddings to be conducted until the end of June.